Thursday, September 9, 2010

Common Sense

I think Voltaire said it best when he said "common sense is not so common."

I am only 22 years old and I have ALWAYS been able to pay my bills and pay them on time. Now some may say I am fortunate, which I am, but I also believe it has to do with common sense. I moved out when I was 18. I was making a minimal amount of money, but I paid all my bills on my own without asking for help from others. How did I do this? First of all, I had a cheap apartment. It wasn't on the best side of town, but it was within my price range. I think most people live well beyond their means.

I didn't have cable or internet. I didn't go shopping and spend money on things I didn't need. I had my basic needs and that is all. My biggest pet peeve is to hear people complaining about not being able to pay their bills or buy groceries and then they spend their money on unnecessary items.

My advice to people struggling:

1. If you can't afford to pay your bills....get RID of cable. I know everyone thinks they need it, but trust me you don't. I have lived on my own for 4 years and I am happy without it.

2. Many internet providers are quite expensive. If it isn't absolutely necessary, get rid of that too. You can always go to the library to update your facebook or myspace status.

3. If you can't afford to buy groceries, cut out even little unnecessary things. Some examples: getting your nails done, going out to eat, tanning, getting your hair done, etc.

4. Shop at discount stores. I know some people who will only buy brand name food. To me that is absolutely ridiculous. There are some products that I agree about buying name brand, but not all. Some generics are even as much as half off the brand name.

I just have to say this, if I couldn't afford to feed my family or pay my bills, I would start by cutting out everything unnecessary in my expenditures. It may be hard to live without the luxuries in life, but trust me it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment