Monday, February 21, 2011

To Work, or Not to Work...That is The Question

Good evening Readers,

This post obviously is going to be about work (duh) but I did want to comment on something else. I posted a while back that I would be putting more military things on here with me being an Army wife and all. I promise there will be more to come, I am just in a slump right now. At this point we are in limbo with whether or not my husband will have another tour of duty, so for now I am writing about other things.


Have you ever worked with a fellow employee who just didn't do ANYTHING?? I am sure you have because I think we have all been in that situation before. The next question is: what do you do about it? I will go over some of the options that we have either all done, or thought about doing.


1. Do nothing about it. I think this is the most common solution for everyone. You just sit there and stew in your own frustration. You go through all the things you would love to do or say, but don't have the courage to put into action. You don't want to upset the dynamic of the work place and you don't want to be the cause of an uncomfortable situation. I think I do this every single day of my working life. There will be one day when I will unleash all of my fury and let me tell you...it won't be pretty!


2. Vent to fellow employees. This is another common solution. You get to let off some steam without getting that lazy co-worker in trouble. The problem with this is, like the first, it is not really a solution to the problem. It will continue to happen and you will continue to complain about it. This solution can be a double-edged sword. While it lets you release some frustration, you are also bad mouthing your fellow employee to someone who could eventually use it against you. I know this sounds like a lot of drama, but trust me...I know drama. I know it so well because I avoid it at all costs.


3. Talk to your boss. In most situations, I would say this is the best solution. Your boss is really the only person who can correct this outrageous behavior. In my situation, it didn't work. Believe it or not, they know this goes on and they continue to let it happen. So now what am I supposed to do?


4. Talk to the employee in question. This is probably one of the toughest options, for the simple fact that it involves confrontation. Most people would not be able to accomplish this civilly. You know after putting up with it day in and day out...one day all the frustration is gonna blow and it ain't gonna be pretty. How many of us would love to just tell that person exactly what we think about their work ethic? I am jumping up and down and raising my hand right now! Haha. Ok seriously I dream about this option every day. I would bet that most of you readers do the same if you are frustrated with a co-worker. Why doesn't this option work? Because it only causes problems in the work place and in the end, you most likely would get in trouble instead of the lazy co-worker.


5. Quit your job. Doesn't this option sound like the most satisfying 99% of the time? Until you think about all the bills that are coming due. I love the quit scene in the movie Half-baked...

Side note: if you haven't seen this movie...you should check it out! So while we would all love to do this, we gotta think about paying the bills.

My question to you is: What are some things your co-workers do that infuriate you? What do you do about it? You can answer this in the comment section!

I love any and all comments and if you wanna follow my blog that would be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment